Friday, 29 February 2008

dank st depot

2 Danks St
Waterloo 2017 NSW
Phone: (02) 9698 2201

This unpredictable Sydney weather has me confused as to whether I want a fresh fennel salad with proscuitto, parmesan and olive oil and lemon juice or a hearty soup with a generous hunk of sourdough bread.

On a particularly soppy Saturday, we decided to stop by Dank St Depot on our way to Mecca (aka. Fratelli). Hearty-ish food was what we were seeking and we were not disappointed.

The Mediterranean Fish Soup was served piping hot with a side of sourdough toast - which was, I am happy to report, satisfyingly fishy without being too cloying. Unfortunately (and I'm being picky), the bowl came to the table with a skin on it...big thumbs down for presentation but redeemed itself on taste.

Also ordered, was the Rubin Sandwich - known in hallowed New York terms as a heart attack between two buttery pieces of toasted bread...I have to say it didn't do New York proud, but is certainly cheesy and buttery enough to stave off any hungover sensations one might be carrying to brunch. Ticks for good produce but it was perhaps overgrilled.

The Rubin came with a side of hand cut fries with a mayonaise reminicent of Dutch holidays past..I won't be ashamed to admit I dipped my bread into it and then into the soup...not very foodie of me but nevertheless naughtily delicious.

Coffee here has certainly picked up its game...having once had perhaps the worst coffee I have ever experienced once...I was skeptical to order it again, however the situation has improved.

Other menu items to note are the Chicken Liver Pate...generously proportioned and tagged as a main dish...you'd probably die of clogged arteries on the spote if you ate this entirely yourself - this dish is best shared amongst two or three as an entree instead...and is one of the best Pate's in Sydney to date.

If you are after something slightly less rich, try the Crisp Pork Belly Salad..served in a bed of shredded green paw paw and a Vietnamese-esque vinigarette dressing which cuts the fattiness of the pork belly - this is one for a sunny afternoon - try it with a glass of Pinot.

0 comments: