Friday, 7 March 2014

FBI's STARTER SERIES



The Friday Delicious Starter Series

Over the next few weeks, we're going to meet from a number of self starters in the food industry, from pub owners to bars, restaurants and cafes, if you've ever wondered what it's like to crack the market and open your own place, you should tune in. 

We thought we'd kick off the series by sharing with you a few things I've learned about being a food writer and communicator, as I receive a couple of emails every few weeks, asking me if I'd like an intern, or can impart tips on how I managed to end up doing what I do.

On evolving from a blog to a published food writer:

1. Having a blog doesn't make you a food writer. It makes you a person who's smart enough to set up a Blogger/Wordpress account. You are not a publisher, an editor, or a writer. Yet. Instead, think of a blog as an opportunity to practice your writing and editing. As a writer, I can certainly say that I was pretty rubbish when I started. I started writing a blog for a digital ad agency I worked for in order to find out more about the space and how to utilise it in an advertising sense for commercial clients, and because I needed to generate content, I had to do it regularly and consistently. That's a great way to practicing your writing - and the fact that anyone can read it is a great self monitoring mechanism. 

2. Don't expect it to be your full time job. Jobs as food writers are highly coveted, generally don't pay very well and don't come up very often. It's healthy to have ambition, but don't expect that you're becoming a food writer to do it as a full time job - it so rarely becomes that. Find a job and an employer who is flexible enough to understand you have extra curricular interests, and that way, you can freelance until you have a better idea of where you'll fit in the scheme of things. 

3. Listen to your editor. They're full of great advice and feedback, like overusing certain words, expanding your vocabulary and never forgetting who you're writing for (the reader). Take critical feedback with grace and you will learn a helluva lot about being a better writer and a better thinker. 

lastly:

Keep asking people for help. People are generally really open and generous with you if your intentions are true. Find people who inspire you, or whom you aspire to be like, and get in their grill. 

That's it for now - stay tuned to FBi Radio every Friday at 5pm to hear more on The Starter Series from incredible and inspiring people from the Sydney food scene. 

0 comments: